Friday, March 12, 2010

City of Stones II

OK, this will be a challenge; no notes and trying to recall two countries ago! Well, here goes from where I left off.

Recovered, somewhat, from my coughing, our trusty tuk-tuk drivers took us to one of the older wats away from the main complex. As I had missed the tour the day before, it was really amazing to come here. According to the guide books, Angkor was the greatest urban complex of the pre-industrial world, this during the European "Dark Ages". I won't try to describe these monuments of that past age; my words simply won't do them justice. Check it out on the Web or go to the library; even better, come here. We drove out further and did a hike up into the mountains a couple of Km to a stream that contained 1,000 lingas. For the uninitiated, a linga is phallic representation (more plainly, a penis) in the Hindu tradition. I think I wrote that the original inhabitants, the Khamers, worshipped Shiva, Brahma and... er, ummm.... another god. The forgotten one represented the beginning of life (ergo the linga), Brahma the life we live and Shiva, the destroyer of life. Anyway, those linga were pretty small, but were carved in the stone stream bed. Afterwards we went to a pool at the bottom of a nice sized waterfall and the driver, Peggy and I really enjoyed the water pouring over us. We stopped at another wat on the way in. That evening we went to a vegetarian restaurant that was not that good and the service was terrible. Where's the meat?!

The next day, Dan and Jerry were kind enough to take me out the the main Angkor complex, which they visited the day I was at the hotel. Again, words can't begin to describe the temples. I believe it is the Banyon complex that you will often see in pictures with the very large heads carved with blocks of stone. If I was smarter I would figure out this picture posting thing. Someone suggested that I use Flicker, so I will have to explore that option. There was also this amazing mural at the main temple that went most of the way around the building (it was unfinished) that showed this great battle scene, elephants, archers, swordsmen, spears, blood and gore. Another wall showing more peaceful scenes, but they went down the exterior hallways that were 150' in length.

It does tire you out with all of the walking and gawking. So, back to the hotel and dinner. The next day we went to the airport for our flight to Luang Prabang, Laos. More about that later..... Peggy is starving so I'd better wrap this up!!


1 comment:

  1. Dave--having trouble posting my comment, just like you and your pics, but want to say how much i'm enjoying your blog, your descriptions of what you are doing, seeing and feeling. Chris Eddy Dos

    ReplyDelete