(So, let's see how I do. I had a heck of time getting to this point. I hope I can get some pictures up this time.)
February 24-26th, 2010
We arrived in Phnom Penh after being in transit for 28 hours; the worst of it being the 6 hour layover at SeaTac after coming from Spokane; that's what you "pay for" when you are on frequent flyer miles, I suppose. Otherwise a good flight to Seoul on KAL, though we were a little late arriving and they gave us a special escort through the airport to make our connection. We both got a couple hours of sleep on the next leg, Seoul/ Phnom Penh (PP). I was actually up early the next morning and walked around a little before the others were up. I could see in that brief walk that things are starting to develop more since my last visit in April of 2007. Yes, poverty is still endemic, but even the poor seem to have cell phones and there are not as many bicycles, those being replaced with motor bikes and cars; "progress" is a double edged sword. I returned to our Guest House (GH) Sokha Heng for my morning tea. A comfortable place for $20 a night, located across from the National Museum and close to the Royal Palace and the river front cafes along the Tonle Sap River, which joins the mighty Mekong here. I finally went and woke everyone up, had breakfast and then we went to the Royal Palace. What an architecturally magnificent compound, what with the palace, pagodas, halls, residences and the gardens and shrubbery. Words can do it little justice nor do the pictures.
At 11:00am they close until 2:00pm, so we walked down to the river front street to rest and get some refreshment. My beverage of choice over here is Pastis, a licorice flavored drink (like Ouzo, Annisette, etc), a sort of paean of times past, about 40 years ago to be exact. The heat, the trip and the beginnings of a cold (granddaughter Maicy this time) sent me back to the GH for a 5 hour rest/nap. Peggy, Jerry and Margy, in the meantime, took a Tuk-tuk to visit the Russian Market. It is a covered market area, much like the Mercado's of Mexico, and absolutely sweltering in the crowded and narrow aisle-ways. After dinner together, Peggy and I walked along the river walk, which is being re-done, and will be quite nice eventually, but at this time we were walking through sand and then some mud. Back to the GH and up the steepest 60 steps you can imagine to our 5th floor room for a good night of sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment